I. Beyond making mutual respect the cornerstone of personal relationships and all interactions, and beyond following directions and instructions, there are behavioral standards that apply specifically to NCSYers at all NCSY events:
- Any behavior that threatens the safety of others will not be tolerated.
- Violence, depending on the seriousness of the act, may also result in referral to law enforcement authorities.
- Foul, obscene or profane language of any sort (verbal, written or electronic) is unacceptable.
- Smoking and Vaping at an NCSY event may be grounds for immediate dismissal from the event at the earliest practical time.
- Possession and/or use of alcoholic beverages at an NCSY event is grounds for immediate dismissal from the event at the earliest practical time, and may be subject to further disciplinary action at the discretion of the Regional Director in consultation with the National Youth Commission.
- Possession and/or use of illegal drugs and controlled substances at an NCSY event is grounds for immediate dismissal from the event at the earliest practical time, and may be subject to further disciplinary action at the discretion of the Regional Director in consultation with the National Youth Commission.
- Bringing weapons to an event will result in confiscation of the weapons, expulsion from the event at the earliest practical time, and may also be referred to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
- Safety and security instructions laid out clearly at the beginning of the event must be adhered to. This includes staying out of areas that are off-limits, staying within the chaperoned shabbaton area, curfew, and program attendance. Failure to follow these rules may result in removal from the event at the earliest practical time.
II. NCSY professionals shall be sensitive as to which breaches of standards indicate the need to refer the problem to outside professional resources for further resolution.
III. Past actions being a strong indicator of future behavior, NCSY reserves the right to limit the participation of any teens in any NCSY activity if there is sufficient reason to believe a particular teen lacks the ability or willingness to follow directions and instructions required for NCSY event participation
IV. Shabbaton Guidelines:
- All participants and guests on Shabbatons are expected to have a willingness to maintain a Shabbat observant atmosphere in all public and shared space. NCSY is mindful that many of our participants are less familiar with these practices, and affords all participants the room to grow in their individual observance and knowledge.
- All participants and guests on NCSY Shabbatons are expected to be dressed appropriately for an immersive experience based around a meaningful Shabbat:
At all times: Tops should have sleeves and an appropriate neckline. There should be no sheer clothing, mini-skirts, or shorts above the knee.
On Shabbat: Boys should wear a kippah and nicer pants and polo/button down shirt. Girls should wear a nice top and skirt or dress.
NOTE: When it is determined that teens must be removed from the event due to breaking of the NCSYer behavior guidelines, their travel home is the responsibility & cost of their parents. If a parent cannot arrange for someone to pick their child up, a taxi or public transportation may be arranged.
See our full standards and guidelines at ncsy.org/standards.
This page updated Nov 19, 2019